Tuesday, April 8, 2008

Hot Chocolate Rainy Day Dreams

I was going to save this recipe for the fall and winter months, but since it's been raining here non-stop I thought I would go ahead and post it. There's something about those mornings when I wake up to rain taping on the window and there's a slight chill in the house that I like a good cup of hot chocolate. Don't get me wrong I love my coffee and teas like I love the air we breath, but for chilly wet weather I'll take a hot chocolate any day. 

Ever since I learned the art of making the perfect cup I have a hard time opening that packet of Swiss Miss with those poor excuse for marshmallows stuck in there! Usually when I have an order of truffles to fill I will save any scraps of chopped/shaved dark chocolate and put them in a ZipLock baggy. Also, if I have any left over vanilla beans I will set them aside too. 

RECIPE
1 Cup Milk 
1 Cup of Half n Half
2 oz of Dark Chocolate (chopped into small pieces)
1 Vanilla Bean (split) or (1/2 tsp of extract if you don't have a bean available)
3 tbs of Sugar
1 tbs of Brown Sugar

Heat the vanilla bean (or extract) and the cup of milk in a saucepan on medium. 
Remove the bean and simmer.
Slowly stir in the Sugar and Brown Sugar.
Next add the chocolate being careful not to burn it. 
Blend the Half n Half blender until frothy and then add it to the saucepan.
Stir once more and serve. Bliss

For a bit of heat add a dash of cayenne pepper to the mix. 


7 comments:

Anonymous said...

off to buy a vanilla bean mr AAron,then ill tell you what i think..8)
hhmmmmm its raining here too,so im a mission after yoga today to buy a bean and taste heaven.
peace trace

Anonymous said...

Chocolate in the morning is what makes me get through my day!
Put "eat chocolate" at the top of your list of things to do today. That way, at least you'll get one thing done.


"I love chocolate. Have you ever seen a chocolate fountain? It is wonderful! Check this out.."
http://www.sarahs-sweet-fountains.co.uk

Anonymous said...

Yummy. I have all of those ingredients, so I'll try it in the morning.

Anonymous said...

I remember the first time I made proper hot chocolate for my husband. He was completely befuddled. He said, "Hot chocolate comes from a little packet." Fortunately he was pleasantly surprised by the result....

Christine said...

I haven't had any hot chocolate (cocoa, in my case) since my mix ran out in January. I should try heating up leftover whipped ganache with milk.

And you are right. Sometimes coffee and tea just doesn't cut it.

javagirlkt's cookin' said...

mmmmm....

it's been raining nonstop here too. this looks like it would hit the sopt right now.

Anonymous said...

OMG Aaron I told so many people about this at work and they were all "OMG so delicious" :)) Keith