Monday, April 14, 2008

2007 Pinot Grigio-Fish Eye

Wine of the Week

This weeks showcase is Fish Eye, a 2007 pinot grigio from California. Ok, I really shouldn't call this a showcase, since it's hardly worth the write up. However, since I promised to write you a review once a week and find a decent chocolate pairing to go with it, well, here you go.

Now as you all know I love pinot grigios....simply love them. Especially during the spring and early summer when the air is clear and cool. As far as whites go I rank pinot grigios pretty high up on the flavor scale. Now with that said, I did not like the Fish Eye. First of all the thought of drinking something like a fish's eye isn't very appealing. It conjures up images of mechanical grapefruit spoons and flopping fish. Second, the finish was way too sweet for my taste. It was more like swilling a Boone's Farm outside of the high school dance with my fly down, shirt untucked and tie thrown over my shoulder. I read one review saying how "the aromatics in this bottle were like a tropical adventure"....yeah right, more like an adventure in a third world country jail cell where malaria was somehow involved!

Now the fun part, the part where I tell you just what chocolate would go nicely with this wine. Generally the rule of thumb is to choose a chocolate slightly sweeter than the wine being served. In this case it's nearly impossible! But, if I had to make a decision I would say milk chocolate, or maybe even a white chocolate. I tell you what, if you have any Easter chocolate wrapped in foil or better yet a chocolate bunny left over bite off the ears and pour yourself a tall glass (for this isn't your sipping beverage). At 8 dollars this screw top wine with its catchy blue-green label should be low on your wines to try list. That's my taste and I'm sticking to it...until next week. 

8 comments:

KennyDoll77 said...

Perhaps a good choice for the Parrothead wives of America?

Aaron K said...

I'm sure they buy the "box" variety of this wine complete with plastic tubing and an I.V. for maximum results. :)

toontz said...

Aaron-
I have seen this wine at our local Sendiks and wondered about it. (I can spend hours just looking at the labels on all the bottles )lol

I am glad you did the taste testing. The last two bottles of wine I picked out were not very impressive, so I know to steer clear of this one now. Thanks!

toontz said...

Aaron,
I just got tagged from Ryan (Leftover Queens forum)
so I am tagging you!
http://okaramountain.blogspot.com/2008/04/it-finally-happened.html

Susan @ SGCC said...

I've seen this wine around. Glad I didn't buy any. Thanks for the tip!

Christine said...

That was really funny to read!

Anonymous said...

So what are you saying... Boones is bad? :p

I also am a huge fan of Pinot Grigio. Thanks for the caveat.

Anonymous said...

I'll stick to Santa Margherita...