Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Existential Chili



My life isn't always about chocolate. Though a good piece of chocolate can send me over the edge of this flat earth. Actually my life is all about change and experience. And with the first crack of cold weather my gastronomy craves something different.....beans. Yeah that's right beans. I think it has something to do with fattening up for the winter. Whatever the case....it's chili time and these legumes are the star attraction. 

Recipe:
1 lb of ground turkey
3 spicy turkey sausages 
1 large red onion
1 can kidney beans
1 can spicy chili beans
1 can black beans
1 can of chopped basil/tomatoes
1 cup of chopped cherry tomatoes
a few sprigs of cilantro
a few sprigs of flat leaf parsley
1 tlbs cumin
1 tsp paprika
1tsp chili powder
3 cloves chopped garlic
1/2 cup of water
salt and cracked pepper to taste



Step 1: separate turkey sausage from casing, chop onion, garlic, parsley, cilantro, cherry tomatoes




 
Step 2: saute onions in olive oil, then add ground turkey and sausage
Step 3: add cumin, paprika, and chili-powder (once turkey has browned drain off fat and put in crockpot)






Step 4: add the rest of the ingredients to the crockpot and set it on low for 6-8 hours
Step 5: serve!



* Note - I personally like my chili spicy so once I'm ready to serve it I'll add some chopped jalapenos and a few splashes of hot sauce. I also like to top it off with shredded cheddar cheese and a blob of sour cream. Oh and did I mention the tortilla chips on the side for dipping? So there ya go...enjoy life, embrace change, and take nothing for granted. 

3 comments:

Thistlemoon said...

I adore beans in any form! This looks awesome!

Jan said...

Now that chili looks good!

Christine said...

That sounds really delicious! I like that you use more than one type of beans, and this definitely shows that chili made with turkey is just as good versus using beef.